Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What eight years of writing the Bad Science column have taught me

What eight years of writing the Bad Science column have taught me


I've got to go and finish a book: I'll be back in six months, but in case it kills me, here's what I've learned in eight years of writing this column.
Alternative therapists don't kill many people, but they do make a greatteaching tool for the basics of evidence-based medicine, because their efforts to distort science are so extreme. When they pervert the activities of people who should know better – medicines regulators, or universities– it throws sharp relief onto the role of science and evidence in culture. Characters from this community who wonder why people keep writing about them should look at their libel cases and their awesomely bad behaviour under fire. You are a comedy factory. Don't go changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment